Friday, March 30, 2007

Subversion blog posts to read

I have been real busy with the new job and have not had time to blog. When I have had some time, it went into blogging over on the Submerged blog. Anyway, here are some links to some good blog posts I have seen recently about Subversion.

On the Submerged blog:

Computing the Differences Between Tags by yours truly :)
In this post I show the new svn diff --summarize command and how you can use it to get a list of files that changed between two repository locations.

Authz and Anon Authn Agony by Mike Pilato
In this post Mike explains a difficult problem you can run into when you want to provide anonymous access but also have private folders within the repository structure.

Multiple Subversion Repositories? by Guido Haarmans
This post touches on the issue of having multiple replicated repositories to support globally distributed development. More specifically, why you may not really need this with Subversion as you do with other tools I will not mention.

Subversion LDAP Authentication with Apache by Jeremy Whitlock
Jeremy gives a primer on how to configure Apache to authenticate users via an LDAP directory, such as Microsoft Active Directory.

How Subversion Conserves Disk Space by Guido Haarmans
This is a high-level overview of how the Subversion repository stores your data.

Finally, I have been meaning to link to another set of posts I have looked at. On his blog TrajicklyHip, Aaron West has written a whole series of detailed posts about setting up a Subversion environment and then working with various clients. He has good links within the posts themselves, so I will just link to my favorite, the one about Subclipse. :) I am fairly experienced with Subversion and these posts are aimed at getting people started, so I cannot say that I have poured over every word in detail. That being said, it all looks quite well done and what I read was accurate. I would recommend you check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Also see: http://subversionee.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Mark!

Interesting articles, but we miss you over on the WDSCi list.

If you've got a few minutes to discuss OS/400 & CMS, drop me a email at wiltc at cintas dot com.

Thanks,
Charles